Nick Clegg: A Liberal with Attitude
January 13, 2010 9:35 AM
Nick Clegg: setting out a Liberal agenda
In an interview with Attitude magazine published today, Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg sets out a strong Liberal Democrat line on LGBT rights - highlighting the Lib Dem's consistent lead on equality over many decades and and including calls to
- Force all schools - including faith schools - to implement anti-homophobia bullying policies and teach that homosexuality is "normal and harmless".
- Change the law to allow same-sex couples the same marital rights as mixed-sex couples, including the right to use the word "marriage" rather than maintaining the segregation of civil partnerships.
- Reverse the ban on gay and bisexual men, and female partners of bi men, being allowed to give blood.
- Guarantee any refugees genuinely fleeing a country because of persecution over their sexual orientation asylum in the UK.
- Review Uganda's membership of the Commonwealth if its government was to bring in the death penalty as proposed in the "Anti-Homosexuality Bill".